Sunday, February 27, 2011

Too Old For Facebook

Yes, it's true.....at almost 60, I'm too old, I don't fit in on Facebook. I've tried to be cool, posting photos, responding to posts using all of the appropriate lingo...LOL, LMAO, @Amy, etc. It's not working for me and I'm not comfortable there. I am a Facebook dropout. I will miss seeing photos of the nieces, nephews, friends and their families and getting updates on what is happening in their lives. I know there are thousands of us in the same boat....we want a way to network that will satisfy our need to share news, write what we are thinking about, stay up-to-date and read things that are relevant to us.

Seeing posts about hating work, not liking your boss or trying to resolve a relationship issue on such a public forum begs the question 'What are you thinking?' I want to counsel these kids/adults that current
and potential employers are scanning Facebook to see what their employees are posting and doing background checks on potential hires. BUT, I'm on Facebook, I'm supposed to be cool so, I don't say anything but 'tsk, tsk, tsk' as I'm reading it.

When a Facebooker posts a photo of themselves looking scarily drunk, scantily clad or just plain stupid, I cringe. I really dislike the 'duck lips' pose that a number of young women assume in their photos. Maybe I'm just jealous? If I did that, the wrinkles around my lips would make my mouth look distinctly like the other end of my body.... No one likes to see terrible photos of themselves. I think there are some Facebook 'friends' who post bad photos of others to make themselves look better. I mean, really.....

I've realized that I actually want to write things that are meaningful to me and, in doing so, I can be what some might call 'wordy.' On Facebook, it isn't cool to write more than a few words, two lines at most. More than that and you are a geek. There are rules for texting, tweeting and Facebook posting that I just don't get!
I know that when a younger person receives a text from me they cringe. You see, in my book, it's alright for a text to be as long as an e-mail. I say what I want using as many words as is necessary.

So, welcome to my blog, FaceLift. It's uncensored and raw, even down to the photo of myself without makeup or enhancements. The musings of a post-menopausal woman. A proud new grandma's ramblings. A baby boomer's place to vent. Photos. Recipes. Travel log. Links to things I like. I would love to have you comment, write whatever you want and keep in touch by e-mail or, dare I say, a hand written letter or note.
UTNT (Until The Next Time)

Amy


3 comments:

  1. Awwww, I hope you keep posting pics of those Grandbabies here!! I've enjoyed them so much! I'll be sure to subscribe to this so we can stay connected.
    Love,
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I've just added you to my Bookmarks in the "Family & Friends" section and look forward to staying connected this way.

    Sally S.

    ReplyDelete